Why does your product need CE consulting?
Here’s the deal. Each product is different, meaning it has different functions and target users, is made of different materials sourced and processed differently, at different locations. Thus legal profile and CE compliance process for each product will vary. In other words different legal regulations and different provision will pose different requirements to seemingly similar items. CE consulting helps to organise all that information and gets into details that really make the difference.
Example. Walkie-talkie toy and wooden toy train .
GROUP OF REGULATIONS APPLICABLE
Wooden toy train
|Secondary battery operated||YES||YES|
|REACH||Check for substance used in plastics||Check for substances used in wood material|
Both of those items are electronic, battery operated toys. Hence regulations that will apply to them are those that have toys, electronic equipment and batteries as a subject. Naturally they are sold in packaging so also packaging regulations would apply. Also REACH regulation would apply as various substances are included in those articles (for example some additive plasticizers or wood treatment chemicals). However walkie-talkie toy uses radio waves and therefore would additionally fall under Radio equipment regulation whereas the toy train would not. The more into details we get the more characteristics of those two items will differ.
If you want to have a thorough information what are the requirements that your product must fulfil – consider hiring a professional.
There’s an easy way to European legal conformity
The EU law makers are aware how complex the matter is. That’s way CEN and CENELEC are engaged to our rescue. Those two bodies issue harmonized standards. Harmonized standards are documents that cover one or more requirements for particular types of products and include recommendations on how to demonstrate CE compliance with such requirement.
Most of the legal acts introduce presumption of conformity. In other words – if it’s demonstrated that a product is compliant with harmonized standard it’s presumed that it’s also compliant with legal provisions.
But there’s a catch.
In fact, there are several catches.
- Cost. Harmonized standards are NOT free. The cost of single document is not significantly high – it’s usually 15 – 30 euro. Yet you need to keep in mind that there are usually more than 10, sometimes more than 30 standards applicable to single product. And it’s usually unnecessary to buy a norm if the testing would be performed at notified body.
- Choice. The decision which harmonized standards to reach for shall be made based on the list of requirements that those standards are to cover. And to know which requirements are applicable – a proper legal research must be done.
- Check of publication. Not all standards create presumption of conformity. Only those, the number of which has been published in OJ. Therefore it’s worth checking first if such publication has actually been made.
One needs to keep in mind is that even if the producer has followed the above CE compliance check process the item may still need additional checks or tests, depending on the nature of product and potential hazards it could present to the potential user. What is more, presumption of compliance is not a guarantee. It’s just pre judgement.
CE CONSULTING SAVES TIME AND MONEY
CE consulting allows to take an individual approach to each product and have a deep look into its specifics. The product of CE consulting is a document summarising:
- all legal regulations applicable,
- product requirements and other obligations posed on manufacturers (or other supply chain members, a.k.a. economic operators),
- recommendations on the possible ways to achieve European legal conformity, including guidance which harmonized standards to use, why and how to perform included their tests and checks.
Thanks to this summary producers (and other economic operators) purchase all the necessary standards and only those necessary ones. They know exactly which tests to perform internally and which externally, at notified bodies and avoid any unnecessary spendings related to such testing. The document is also a base for conformity assessment procedure that any producer MUST perform.
WE OFFER CE CONSULTING
We are team of lawyers who specialise in product and manufacturing business area. With natural ease we navigate throughout various EU legal regulations and provide recommendations for compliance with experience in production reality. And when it comes to prices – we are reasonable about them. Contact us to inquire on CE consulting for your product.